Time-honored mutton preparation from hills of kumaon: slaughtered whole goat is roasted with skin on live fire and cooked in aromatic spices, flavoured with unsullied greens.
The mutton used in this recipe is of the goat which is roasted with skin after slaughtering. Meat is very famous among people of Uttarakhand.
- Mutton - 1 kg
- Mustard Oil - 100 ml
- Cumin Seeds - 20 gm
- Onions (medium sized) - 300 gm
- Tomatoes - 150 gm
- Garlic (chopped) - 20 gm
- Ginger (chopped) - 30 gm
- Coriander leaves - 50 gm
- Red Chilli powder - 10 gm
- Mint leaves - 30 gm
- Whole Green Chilly slit - 5
- Ghee - 50 gm
- Salt - To taste
Ground Paste Masala: Ground paste of masala to be done on Sil-Batta
- Garlic whole - 1 pod
- Cumin seed - 10 gm
- Coriander seed - 15 gm
- Whole red chilli - 2
- Turmeric whole - 5 gm
- Cloves - 2
- Pepper corn - 6
NOTE: Mutton - Curry cut from the roasted goat
- In a pan heat oil and add cumin seed and bay leaf.
- Add roughly chopped onions and sauté them till translucent.
- Then add chopped garlic and chopped ginger.
- Follow it up by adding grounded Masala & salt to it and mix well.
- Sauté it for some time then add tomatoes to it.
- Bhuno the Masala till the oil gets separated then add mutton to it and sauté it properly, add half of mint and coriander leaves.
- Add water and mix it well properly cover the pan let the mutton pieces cooked properly.
- At the time of serving, temper the mutton with ghee and slitted green chilies.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.